Pages

Monday 20 February 2012

Baking My Way: Jan Hagel Bars

This is the second bar I made for the anniversary celebration. It's dutch so I thought that was fitting seeing as a lot of the family is dutch.  This bar is a nice change from all the American recipes in this book and you can tell it's European and I love that. It's soft and I love the sugar and nuts on top; for some reason it makes me feel like a kid.

Ingredients

  • 1/2  cup sugar
  • 1  cup margarine or butter, softened
  • 1/4  teaspoon almond extract
  • 1  egg, separated
  • 2  cups All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
  • 1/2  teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1  tablespoon water
  • 1/2  cup sliced almonds
  • 1/4  cup sugar

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 15x10x1-inch baking pan. In large bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, margarine, almond extract and egg yolk; blend well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour and cinnamon; mix well. Press evenly in greased pan.
  2. In small bowl, beat water and egg white until frothy; brush over dough. Sprinkle evenly with almonds and 1/4 cup sugar.
  3. Bake at 350°F. for 17 to 22 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately cut into 3x1-inch bars. Cool completely in pan.

1 comment:

  1. I love Jan Hagels! My family has dutch roots as well and these along with banket were staples in our holiday traditions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and feedback! I enjoy reading each one :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...