Pages

Saturday 24 November 2012

Egg Substitutes In Baking


eggs 

 I started mixing a recipe and realized too late that I had used the last of the eggs. It was 11pm (yes, I bake late sometimes; you know, the second wind!) so I really didn't want to go out to the store. I remember my mom saying she'd done apple sauce or something like that once and it worked well so I did a little research and found some great options! 

Apple sauce/fruit puree 
1/4 cup sauce for every egg 

Best in: 
Cookies, cakes, quick breads, brownies



Vinegar 
1 teaspoon of baking soda along with 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Apple cider vinegar and white distilled vinegar can be used.
 
Best in:
Cakes, cupcakes, breads 

Buttermilk
If there are no other ingredients to make the baked item rise, then one of these can be used in place of the egg. Replace the liquid in the recipe with same amount of buttermilk or thinned yogurt. Replace baking powder with 1/4 as much baking soda.

Best in: 
Cookies, bars, flat breads

Flax Seed Meal
Whisk/blend together 1 teaspoon of flax seed powder with 1/4 cup of water for each egg to be replaced.

Best in: Cakes, pancakes, bran muffins, oat cookies, waffles 
 
Tofu
Substitute 1/4 cup of whipped silken tofu for each egg

Best in: Dense cakes, bread, cookies, brownies 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments and feedback! I enjoy reading each one :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...